Saturday, April 19, 2008

Danish Downers

Recently, I was on a Danish kick. My Netflix queue was lined up with the darkest films. Films that depressed me. Films that made me sick to my stomach. Films that haunted me in my dreams and when I was awake. If you are ready emotionally, here is a list of my "favorites". Coincidentally, they all star either Ulrich Thomsen (UT) or Mads Mikkelsen (MM). Describing each movie with even three sentences would spoil it. Just be ready with a bottle of Prozac and a glass of water next to your DVD remote.

Adam's Apple (2005) (UT and MM): Pastor with horrific past takes care of a violent neo-Nazi, an alcoholic, and a burglar.

After the Wedding (2007) (MM): Philanthropist gives away his family.

Brothers (2005) (UT): Brother 1 fights in Afghanistan and is thought to be killed. Brother 2 comforts brother 1's wife.

The Celebration (1998) (UT): Darkest movie of them all. Takes place at a family reunion.

The Green Butchers (2004) (MM): A comedy about cannibalism.

The Inheritance (2003) (UT): Man's downward spiral when he leaves charmed life to take over family business after father commits suicide.

Happy movie watching!

CKY

No comments: