Saturday, July 25, 2009

Red Rotel Tour Buses

WTF? I'm driving along in Walnut Creek and see a big red bus behind me. The back half of the roof is a few feet higher than the front half. It looks European but I can't identify the brand. And the paint is kinda faded. Is this a vintage Ferrari Renntransporter, making an early run to Monterey?

I want a better look. I slow down on the freeway to allow it to pass, pissing off the driver behind me. The behemoth passes by. The driver has five bags of crisps wedged next to his window. Three of them are opened and half-eaten. There are retirees sitting in the front of the bus in the passenger compartment. But the back half is a three-level sleeper! I pull behind it. It's got a new German EU plate and an old yellow Alaska plate.

It is a Rotel Tour ("rolling hotel") bus. Apparently, it's a German outfit that takes intrepid travelers all over the world in eccentric comfort.




6 comments:

End Hits said...

Just spotted the bus in Ottawa, Canada. Was intrigued and googled it and found your blog.

meemhoop said...

OMG, that's the big red monster thing we saw when we were at a scenic lookout spot in Wyoming!! It was the damndest looking animal. It was full of Germans, well, empty of Germans, actually, they were taking in the view.And it had lockers on the lower level, which, when open, contained food (bags of chips???) and a folding table. My husband named it The Krautmobile, and got scolded by a young tour bus driver for that being "not nice." My husband reminded him that during World War II these "not nice" folks were trying very hard to kill him. (He's 84). But of course that was a long time ago and we're friends now. But do you think Americans would ever travel in a "Yankmobile"? lol rofl

Maxichamp said...

@meemhoop: I just saw a Rotel bus at the tip of South America. I'll be posting about it in the coming week!

John L said...

Germans travel around the outback in Oz in those bloody things. Hot and cold running everything. They're probably blowfly proof as well.

Tim K. said...

Just saw it in my campground. Siesta Key RV resort! I've never seen anything like it in my life.

Tim K. said...

Just spotted this strange but cool camper/tour bus in Siesta Key Florida! Very strange vehicle. The people were friendly. They entered the RV resort at night, opened up the outdoor kitchen and cooked for an army. Did the same for breakfast the next morning and then packed up and left. What a unique way to travel.