Saturday, May 21, 2011

What I did on Rapture Day


Well, I went out with a bang.  Lots of pictures to follow, but I need to unwind first.

5 a.m.: Learned of Heidfeld's fiery demise.

8 a.m.: Test drove a Buick Regal Turbo, Acura TSX, Buick LaCrosse 2WD, Buick LaCrosse AWD, Acura TL, Chevy Cruze, Chevy Volt, Camaro RS (V6), Camaro SS (V8), Corvette Grand Sport (436 hp).


10 a.m. While walking back to my car, I spotted, and took pictures of, an old 1970s Civic CVCC hatchback.  I realized it's an electric conversion.  Just then, its owner walked up and gave me a comprehensive tour of it.  He then told me about an electric car owners meeting that was a few miles away.


10:20 a.m. Got lost on the way to the meeting.  Came across a parking lot with a Subaru Brat, an old Toyota van, an Airstream RV, and an old International.


10:30 a.m. I showed up to the meeting.  A guy with a 1970s Sidewinder power boat gave a thorough and entertaining Powerpoint presentation of how he replaced the boat's two stroke carbureted engine with an electric motor capable of pulling a water skier/wakeboarder.

3 comments:

MattC said...

Which car really stood out during you various test drives?

Maxichamp said...

@MattC: You know what's weird? The TSX. I have a Mark 1 TSX now and made a concrete decision a year ago that when I replace my car, it would not be a TSX. But the Mark 2 I drove today was very impressive.

I'm going to write up all of my impressions now. The people at the event must have thought I was weird, taking pictures and scribbling all those notes.

The Corvette, of course, was heart-poundingly amazing. But practically speaking, I'd never own one.

P.S. Aren't you supposed to be in Pennsylvania this weekend?

Alan said...

Looking forward to the write-ups.