Monday, September 19, 2011

Maserati collection mega-gallery

Last week, I visited the Riverside International Automotive Museum.  It is an homage to the Riverside International Raceway and has the largest and most complete Maserati collection in America.


Museum director Bruce Ward greeted me and walked me over to the museum.

Bruce: Anything in particular you're interested in?
Me: Quattroportes.
Bruce: There are a few in storage.
Me: May I see them?
Bruce: Sure!

We walked over to a nearby warehouse.  It's the MOTHER LODE!!!

This deep blue Mexico without any brightwork caught my eye.  It is so raw and unapologetic.







This Sebring was pretty badass too.

The first of many Quattroportes is on the left.  It was at this point that Doug Magnon, the man behind the collection, introduced himself and proudly showed off his barn and eBay finds.  The example on the right ended up providing a cornucopia of parts.  Oh, and watch your step.

QP I badge.

QP I roof.

QP I interior.


I've just seen the tip of a titanic iceberg.

Two Indys.

Two Sebrings.

A few other exoticas were in the mix, like this 1950s AC.

Not registered since 1962?!

One of many QP IIIs.  One of these belonged to David "Kung Fu" Carradine.

Sitting in the burgundy QP III.  The black car is a Kyalami (which was never sold in the U.S.).  Beyond that is a special QP I.

That QP III weight limit did not have 21st century Americanos in mind.




I see a strange compact.  Is it a Fiat?  A Toyota?  I climb into the "driver's side" of the RHD car and see this.  An Isuzu 117 Coupe!

That's a fancy steering wheel for a Japanese car.


The Isuzu looks solid and complete.

I have no idea what this is.

Aforementioned Kyalami.


Once restoration is completed on this QP I, it will be the oldest QP on the road-- in the galaxy.  Maserati hardtops have even numbered VINs.  This is #12, which would make it the sixth QP ever made.

The interior is almost finished.


Sticker from another QP III.

Deconstructed Khamsin.




Doug regularly takes this QP III on long road trips.

Here is the museum.  The fact that I neglected to take a picture of the Jaguar XJ220 speaks volumes as to the incredible inventory on display.

This Frua Quattroporte is the highlight.  It was regularly driven by the King of Spain.  Bruce even showed me the tear on the driver's seat cushion caused by His Highness' toosh.


To the side of the museum, cars are being restored and maintained.



After I was done with the museum, I asked for permission to go back to the storage warehouse.  I had to see those cars again!













Thank you Doug and Bruce.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Re: I have no idea what this is.

It might be an ASA: http://www.carsfromitaly.net/others/index.html
The window-frame is the same, but the ASA has 4 rear lights, yours only have two.

Best guess.
All the best,
Etienne

Alan said...

It's definitely an ASA 1000GT with an unusual rear light treatment. "No two alike" and all that, remember.

What an amazing place, I have to go check it out now. I understand why you focused on that Mexico - something about the color and condition and that beautiful V8 add up to a mesmerizing mix.

To have that kind of money and be so dedicated to a single mark is unusual but admirable. My collection would be all over the place, kinda like Leno's.

It will take three fortunes and five lifetimes for all those cars to be restored, he's doing it to save them from the crusher for future restorations I'm sure.

Maxichamp said...

@Etienne and Alan: An ASA! Never heard of it.

All of us need to pool our money together, buy some prime Salton Sea beachfront property and develop, develop, develop. With the billions we make, we can acquire the most "diverse" car collection in the world.

Alan said...

I'm in with $400.

Go check out the Marconi museum next time your down. I was the only person in the place and unwatched I got to get all pervy and molest F40, 50s and an Ex-Senna Honda/McLaren.

Alan said...

you're.

impishgrin said...

Not an ASA. It's a Ghia 1500 GT. Check the rear side window, the rear bumper with the lights under the number plate and the general curve of the tail. Definitely a Ghia.

Maxichamp said...

@imp: You're right. I recall seeing a Ghia emblem in front of the rear wheel well.

http://bringatrailer.com/2007/12/10/1-of-600-ghia-1500-gt-coupe/