Saturday, April 09, 2016

Eating the Globe: Pakistan



Everything always works out.

I went to San Francisco yesterday to have lunch with a friend. I told him about my goofy idea and we agreed to go to a Portuguese diner. Time was of the essence because the long-time owner just sold the restaurant and the new owner wants to tear it down and build a 26-unit condo complex with a retail space on the ground floor. This shit is happening everywhere in the Bay Area.

Well, we got there and realized it was only open for dinner. We surveyed the block and saw an Indian/Pakistani place.

I've stayed away from Indian/Pakistani joints for a reason. In my research, when I look at the menus, I can't tell what's Indian and what's Pakistani. If I'm going to cross Pakistan off my list, I have to make sure the entree is indigenous to Pakistan.

Fortunately, this was on the menu:
GOAT KARAHI
Khyber Pass region delicacy where no feast was without this dish.
Diced goat cooked with Northern spices, herbs and tomatoes in traditional style.

The goat was not really diced and there was a lot of bone left on. The flavors were intense. It was spicy enough to induce a runny nose, but not enough to leave my tongue numb. Mission accomplished. Plus, my eating companion didn't get any sauce on his shirt or tie, which was good because he had a meeting with a new client in the afternoon. Litigators are the only people left in this city of 800,000 that still wear ties. We look so out of place.

We're going for Argentinean, hopefully next week.

In my research for this write-up, this warning popped up on Yelp. I've never seen such a warning before on Yelp.



Countries tried so far:
Africa: Egypt, Ethiopia, South Africa
Asia: Afghanistan, Burma, China, India, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
Europe: Bosnia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Sweden
North America: El Savador, Mexico, USA
South America: Brazil, Chile, Venezuela

2 comments:

Saxphile said...

Goat curry. Hmm. Sounds like it's worth the food safety warning.

As far as I can determine, Argentine "crusine" is just lumps of meat uncontrollably charred. Prove me wrong.

steve-vh said...

I think I may have had the goat at this place a few years back!! We tried a different nationality at pretty much every meal for 5 days there.