Saturday, December 31, 2016

Eating the Globe: Honduras

Fourth time is a charm. Like the country itself, local Honduran restaurants are a mess.

I went to a Honduran place in San Rafael. The sign on the window said that it opened at 10 a.m. It was 10:15 and was closed.

I went to a Honduran place in San Francisco. It was shut down due to asbestos, mold, lead, etc.

I planned on going to a Honduran place in San Jose. But my San Jose friend told me that it was in a dicey neighborhood. He found us another Honduran place in San Jose in a much better neighborhood.

I ordered the tajadas con carne molida. Carne molida is ground beef. It tasted like garlicky meat sauce for spaghetti, with bits of potato. Tajadas are apparently the thinly sliced bed of plantains that form the bottom of the dish (mixed with cabbage). I don't usually like plantains because I don't like sweet stuff in my entrees. But these plantains were very neutral in flavor and just "tasted" like bland starch.




The beer only has a 4% rating.

72 countries down.


Countries tried so far:
Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Morocco, Nigeria, Somalia, South Africa
Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Bangladesh, Burma, Cambodia, China, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam, Yemen
Europe: Bosnia, Bulgaria, Czechia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden
North America: Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago, USA
South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela
Oceania: Australia, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga

No comments: